23 October 2013

My collection of Japanese eating utensils






























I love Japanese eating utensils.

I admire the unique sense of beauty of Japanese crafts and art.  I started collecting them since my first trip to Kyoto.  It's an addictive thing.  You cannot not live (and eat) with them since you have acquired your first piece.

Each one of these is handmade and created in its own unique appearance and no one is identical, in terms of shape, colour and texture.  They can be pottery, wood ware (sometimes lacquered and painted) or metal ware.  With repeated use a bonding emotion grows between you and the utensils that makes you treasure them more.

The above is part of my collection and focusing on eating utensils though there are a couple of figurines and vases that I cannot pull out from my sketchbook.  It's my habit when I acquire my new piece I draw it and write down the artist's name next to it. When I have finished my another page of documenting today I thought to myself why not share this with you?  Though I know my drawing cannot justify their true appearances and how good they are to use, it's still a good reminder to all of us - it's important to understand and appreciate the intention of an artist by looking at his work because it's what they are good for.

Isn't it a good thing you have your favourite food served on utensils you appreciate like a piece of art?  Again, a simple but true Baule proverb - "We cannot live without beautiful things.".