01 January 2018

Duty Before Love

















I see people rushing around, their bodies tense, racing to keep up, eyes filled with fear - fear of falling behind, fear of not achieving enough, having enough, being enough, fear of standing still long enough to listen to their own thoughts.

Yet some people live for love, with a light in their eyes, radiating joy and energy.

I learned that Michelangelo's father wanted his sons to become silk and wool merchants to bring more money into the family.  He would beat Michelangelo whenever he caught him drawing.  Fortunately, the boy persisted in doing what he loved, going on to enrich our world with the power of his art.

Love inspires and energizes us, whereas fear only makes us frantic, and regimented duty can drain and deplete us.

Do you live for Love, Fear, or Duty?

May your new year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness and somewhere I hope you surprise yourself.


My column illustration titled "My English Rose" | December 2017
(I have this first draft of my drawing posted here replacing my final artwork because somehow I just find it more interesting :-)